A world where all is free
Wednesday, August 03, 2005
 
Brand Baj Gaya
Emami has launched a new product, a fairness cream for men. This has been touted in at least one article as "creating a new segment in the country."

Incredibly, the chosen brand name (arrived at, presumably, after immense research, cluster analysis, psycho-socio analysis, Maslow's heirarchy etc.) is....

Fair and Handsome!

In my final semester at B school i had done a project on "Brands that failed to take off". It was incredible to find brand managers committing the most basic mistakes. Most failures were due to reasons that any human with common sense would see clearly. Yet, brand managers seem to be blinded by their research and "insight."

Another example that comes to my mind is "Nirma Salt" which was launched sometime back in a packet that looks exactly like the detergent.

Maybe I am announcing doomsday for the product too soon - After all, the fairness market in India does seem to defy logic - Maybe the market is so huge that tapping 0.01% of it would be significant enough- But all I can say is lets wait and watch.
Comments:
Good stuff.. dont you have time to write more?
 
Hi
Can't u make that project of urs online .. or can u give me some references [links/books anything] on brand management .. I want stories/stats/names .. how big brands were made .. what kind of surveys/research/money goes in it .. would appreciate any help/hint
-Amit
 
I can give you two references - http://www.google.com and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/. They rock, especially the latter.

Cannot upload my project because a. I'd be embarassed and b. I don't have it on me!
 
ha ha.. thanx for the refs man .. I got it .. just came back to check if u could have spared some resources.. anyway, keep working ;-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger